Fashion Flock

A Designer's diary of what's hot in fashion, art, and the California beach lifestyle.

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Design Serenity at The Huntington


I've been itching to check out The Huntington ever since I moved here in 2004. A schlep across the 405 is rarely in my agenda, let alone, a trek to Pasadena on the 110. But after reading Robert Rauschenberg's obituary and being reminded of an artist's long ago inspiration - The Huntington - I was determined to make the trip. I was hoping to go in June when the Rose Garden is in peak bloom, but a cooler than usual Sunday afternoon in July was just right. Immediately I was impressed with the sprawling grounds, reminiscent of Versailles (especially with the bountiful sculptures on the North Vista Lawn. My son kept asking where the David-esque man's pants were!) Hard to believe one family lived in this joint!

First stop, the Helen and Peter Bing Children's Garden, to get off on the right foot with my kids of course! The diminutive garden was just the ticket to get my kids in gear for a long day at a museum and botanical garden. It almost felt like being in The Secret Garden with all the little pathways, water features, and botanical mazes.

Next stop, food. If I had planned ahead, I would have booked a table in the Tea Room for a proper sit-down tea and crumpets for refueling, but for this trip, the outdoor tables and à la carte menu would do. With kids (and adults) recharged, we continued onto the Japanese Garden by way of the Rose Garden (reminded me of the Brooklyn Botanical Rose Garden.) Entering the Japanese Garden was like being transplanted into another century and culture with the decadent pavillions, reeds of bamboo, drum bridges, and koi ponds. Immediately my brain was churning up space-dye color repeats after seeing all the various shades of koi fish! I loved the zen Japanese rock garden and serene, fully-furnished Japanese house - clean, refined comfort that is refreshing from the typical cluttered American home and garden.

Next stop, The Chinese Garden, which we discovered along a shady pathway from the Japanese Garden. The lovely outdoor Pavillon of the Three Friends overlooks a tranquil lake stocked with more koi, with a white-washed pathway of bridges that takes you around the lake. My son especially enjoyed the miniature bonsai landscapes, which I told him were homes for all the insects.

Finally, on the kid's last weary legs, we sneaked quickly into the refurbished Huntington Art Gallery to take in some European art. I had wanted to check out Robert Rauschenberg's inspiration - The Blue Boy - and see for myself what made Mr. Rauschenberg want to become an artist. The subtle, painterly shades of blue in the boy's pants was mind-boggling to say the least. My favorite, was actually in the Virginia Steele Scott Gallery of American Art - Mary Cassatt's Breakfast in Bed (an affectionate mother and child portrait.)

All in all, it was a serene visit and one of design inspiration. Even if the inspiration wasn't literal, it at least got my mind at ease so I can go back to the drawing board in the next month and crank out some Fall 2009.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home