Fashion Flock

A Designer's diary of what's hot in fashion, art, and the California beach lifestyle.

Monday, September 21, 2009

We're All Lifeguards


In L.A. we're all lifeguards, lifeguards of our oceans and beaches. The ocean and the beach lifestyle has always been an inspiration for me in my designs and it's what brought me from Brooklyn to Santa Monica. Unfortunately, our Southern California beaches are some of the most polluted beaches in the U.S. But thanks to organizations like Heal the Bay and the Surfrider Foundation, awareness is key to cleaning up our beaches and coastlines.

This weekend my whole family - my mother, my husband, and my two children joined Heal the Bay at the Santa Monica beach near lifeguard stand #27 for Coastal Cleanup Day. We had a great time picking up cigarette butts, tiny pieces of styrofoam, plastic bags, cigarette lighters - you name it, we found it in the sand. It was a great turnout and over 300,000 pounds of trash was collected on Saturday. And it was a great education for my 5-year old son and 2-year old daughter about the importance of keeping the trash in the can and out of our ocean waters. Check out my husband's video of our morning at the beach. Enjoy! And hope to see you at next year's Coastal Cleanup Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home