Fashion Flock

A Designer's diary of what's hot in fashion, art, and the California beach lifestyle.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

If I Could Change the World of Fashion...


I would...

Ban boots from stores in July.
Make swimsuits available in stores during the Summer.
Ship Spring to stores in March (not January), Summer in June (not April), and Fall in September (not June.)
Be able to buy white pants in August.
Forbid merino wool and cashmere from stores until after Labor Day (no wool allowed in July, it's too frickin' hot!)
Fill the stores with happy Summer colors in June and July rather than being bombarded with dull Wintery colors.

I know it sounds revolutionary, but wouldn't it be great to actually find what you need in the season you're shopping in? Ever try finding a swimsuit during the Summer months? Good luck! You better shop for that bikini in April because that's when they're in the stores. I'm so disgusted to see heavy wool/cashmere sweaters folded perfectly on boutique tables in the middle of July. What are they thinking? I have no intention on trying on those beautiful chunky sweaters, sweet merino trousers, or those fabulous tall boots in the middle of the Summer when I'm just getting comfortable in my breezy slip dresses. And stores wonder why biz is slow and why they'll end up marking Fall down come September when the goods have already been in stores for 3 months with no takers.

It's the fashion industry's own Fashion Faux Pas...

My recent quest to find a pair of slick white pants and a white bikini in August for my photo shoot was nearly impossible and it made me think of the fashion industry's lame attempt to understand the consumer. Yes, I know the world of fashion dictates no white after Labor Day, but excuse me, it's going to be 80 degrees out until October (a.k.a Indian Summer on the East and the lovely Santa Ana winds out West.) When is the fashion industry going to wake up and realize, especially in this slow economy, people are not shopping three months in advance for their seasoned wardrobe. I believe this whole backwards mentality of shipping Fall in June and Spring in January was the industry's idea of maximizing sales and to get a jump start on the season. And of course, the whole back-to-school concept of stocking up on school clothes in the Summer before school starts. But like most fashionistas out there, I'm not in school and don't need to buy my Fall boots and heavy sweaters before the semester begins. The same goes when you go to Riteaid in August. They're shoving Halloween down your throat like there's no tomorrow.

So when will the fashion industry wake up? Maybe I should start a revolt as a designer and require stores to take their Fall merchandise in the Fall and actually sell them Summer in the Summer. Wouldn't that be a concept? Then maybe these poor boutiques could get a decent sell-thru and satisfy their customer's "wear-now" needs.

At least the magazine industry has it right. September is usually the break of Fall for designer ads and editor's layouts for the season. I actually just started preparing myself for Fall by toning down my nail color to a neutral "Sand on the Beach" for my toes that will look chic with my new bronze gladiators and will transition nicely into Fall. Flipping through my new September Vogue inspired me to get ready for Fall. So maybe in two months, I'll be ready for those cashmere sweaters and tall boots, and they'll be 'had' on sale, of course!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home