Fashion Flock

A Designer's diary of what's hot in fashion, art, and the California beach lifestyle.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

From the Sketchpad: Eco-Spacedye


Although I've been working with a sustainable fiber, Rayon, since 2005, I was anxious to get on the Bamboo-bandwagon. Bamboo has been the talk of the 'fashion' town for a couple of years now, and I've finally developed my version of this luxurious, eco-friendly fiber in my signature space-dye technique. Rayon and Bamboo share a lot of the same properties and both are a natural cellulose fiber that comes from plants and have a similar manufacturing process. Rayon comes from trees, while Bamboo comes from a grass. Both are sustainable in the sense that they don't require pesticides to grow and they are extremely replenishable. I've found that bamboo fabric is just as soft as a fine-cashmere (but much lighter), more matte than rayon or silk, and breathes better than any man-made fiber out there, and it has been known to be anti-fungal (not that that's huge on my list as a sweater designer). I've been able to achieve the same luxurious hand-feel and drape as my rayon fabric, but I really think the hand is matter and softer than rayon (think less silk, but more like cashmere). My new Resort/Spring I collection of super-fine 14gg knits will debut at the upcoming New York City Intermezzo show at the Javits Center (August 5-7, booth #6027). I'm featuring a new array of spacedye colors inspired by California eco-towns, Ojai, Big Sur, Avalon (Catalina Island), and Carmel. In addition, all my tops will be offered in solid bamboo colors (lime, black, denim, earth, and rose) with spacedye accents for those that crave my designs in a more minimalist palette. My favorite silhouettes this season are the wrap dress, my signature va va voom dress (a knitwear take on a vintage Stacia New York best-selling dress), the updated beach tunic (with nautical inspired braided drawstrings), and a long gathered vee top (pictured above). I'm excited to see the response to the new bamboo spacedye collection and can't wait to wear my own eco-friendly knits next Spring!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home