Fashion Flock

A Designer's diary of what's hot in fashion, art, and the California beach lifestyle.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Evolution of the Katie Holmes' Jean





I've always been a fan of Katie even pre-TomKat when we were doing sun salutations side by side at Yoga Works on Montana. With her cropped do and chic Mom-style, she even made the cut in my Style Icons posts. And now she's been all over the news this Summer and Fall thanks to her every changing jeans style. Her choice (whether it was engineered by a stylist or not) to one day pull on her hubbie's slouchy jeans and roll 'em up circa 1989-style and don Sigerson-esque flats, she has single-handedly jump started the boyfriend jean revolution. Goodbye skinny, hello comfy jeans (thank god, right?)! Oh, to only be the designer of Current Elliot or Prps right now. Nothing like being plucked from obscurity by Miss Katie!

I'm actually excited about mixing up my own denim wardrobe a bit and adding the new boyfriend jean to the mix. Even if it totally reminds me of my denim days as a freshmen in college (pegging your slouchy jeans by pleating the sides before rolling them up for the ultimate peg.) Been there done that. But this time around, pairing them with metallic flats or gladiator sandals is so much cooler than with slouchy socks by the Limited and Keds (did I just date myself or what?!)

But boyfriend jeans aside, Katie's denim taste is ever evolving. I'm also loving her high waisted vintage-inspired jeans (I swear I bought a pair of these at the Salvation Army back in 1995 for inspiration when I was a denim designer at the Limited) and the chic wide-leg jeans that she's been sporting. And even in the predictable skinny jean, she makes it new with a Vivienne Westwood-esque plaid shirt. It's refreshing to see a wide variety of jean silhouettes after a year or two of just skinny jeans. I swear every 6th grade skater in Santa Monica is reason enough to ditch the skinny jean and give the Ramones' look a rest.

I've never been a super fan of J.Crew jeans (they're great for everything else) but I did get lucky on a recent purchase of their "high-heel jean." With its slightly high waisted fit and perfect wide leg, I feel oh so chic. Although I'm not actually wearing them with high heels, but rather with flats which creates the perfect break in the pant.

So my next purchase will surely be the boyfriend jean thanks to Katie Holmes. But this time around I will be pairing them rolled up with my London Sole bronze flats, a slim-fitting Stacia knit top and long skinny scarf, and thankfully not with my 1989 Keds and oversized Limited T-shirt. It's good to evolve in fashion!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home