Fashion Flock

A Designer's diary of what's hot in fashion, art, and the California beach lifestyle.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Upsize Accessories in a Downsize Economy


When we're all pinching our pennies, it takes a lot of creativity and effort to look the part in the world of fashion, yet save your wallet. I've always been a big fan of over-sized watches since my days of buying faux Rolex President watches undercover down on Canal Street. Even though I actually own a real Rolex (got it when I was 13 in Hong Kong and my best investment to date), I still covet cool watches, especially large scale ones.

On my recent outings to Vegas and NYC for work, I noticed a lot of fashionista's were sporting their own status watches and not necessarily break-the-bank ones either. My two Westcoast reps were both wearing the new gold "full-blooded" Swatch watch in Vegas. I immediately thought "I have to have one!!" I grew up with Swatch back in the early 80's and remember scoring big time on a trip to Geneva and coming back with several Swatches. But those days of plastic, pop-art, clear-strapped days are over for me. I'm not 16 anymore and have a higher aesthetic now I would hope. So big and gold or chic and platinum is more my game now. And this new Full-Blooded Swatch edition is right up my alley.

There's just a tad of bling on the dial, and just a hint of clear plastic casing around the face, but this puppy is all metallic and actually has a nice weight to it (crucial when you're used to the expensive weight of a Rolex.) Not the easiest watch to find since it's sold out in a lot of places (I guess everybody else has the same idea of down-sizing the wallet, but upsizing their accessories) and Swatch stores are almost non-existent these days. But Nordy's still has a few, so it looks like I may be stretching my pennies soon and getting one of these Full-blooded watches for myself. It'll have to do until the economy is on an upswing again and I can upgrade my old Rolex for a gold President!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home