Fashion Flock

A Designer's diary of what's hot in fashion, art, and the California beach lifestyle.

Friday, September 05, 2008

Forecasting - The Fall '09 Palette


It's that time again (already!) to start thinking about the next collection. I feel like I just finished Spring/Summer '09! But since I manufacture overseas, it's crucial to get a head start so I have all my samples by the February trade shows. So here I am, with my pile of space dye swatches, Pantone color chips, and various forms of inspiration (some of my son's paintings.) What will be the palette for next Fall? Hmmmmm....well my gut always tells me to not be afraid of color, even for Fall/Winter, but the economy is still crappin' out so the consumers and buyers are feeling less adventurous and may want a more somber palette. But, on the other hand, we have an upcoming election, which sometimes jump starts the economy and creates optimism at retail. Since the future is unknown and I always design from the gut, I guess it'll be a little bit of both. Some neutral-based colors that are always classic (think grey/black combos and brown tones) and a few pop colors just for fun (for the optimistic consumer who wants to strut some color come next Fall.) God knows, you can't be afraid of color. That's something my son has taught me for sure. It's liberating to watch him paint and just splash on any color at whim. There's no over-thinking, contemplating, or hesitance. He just goes for it! So, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to really experiment with some unusual color combinations and give the consumer some unpredictable, but surprisingly wearable space dyed colors for next year. And of course if there's still doom and gloom on the horizon, I'll throw in a few predictable colors as well. This way, everybody will be happy!

1 Comments:

At 2:18 PM , Blogger Pete Viles said...

That is the most handsome boy I've ever seen!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home