Fashion Flock

A Designer's diary of what's hot in fashion, art, and the California beach lifestyle.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Little Designers in the Making



Three years ago I brought a little fashion design sunshine to my son's preschool classroom with a paper doll craft project and it was a hit. Now, my girly, Kaiulani, is three and it's her turn for a little Fashion 101.

Like last time, I cut out a bunch of printed fabric dresses and shirt/pant ensembles and glued them to construction paper. Then I brought loads of trims from my design studio - antique buttons, sequins, ribbon, beads, and lace trims -- oh yeah, and LOTS of glue! The kids went crazy with the glue (pools of it everywhere!) But they had a blast decorating their one-of-a-kind creations with beads, buttons, and rick rack. Even the boys (future Tommy Hilfigers in the making!) had a blast.

The best moment was with one little girl in particular (the last one to finish her masterpiece) who was very meticulous and every trim she picked was precisely thought out. I would keep recommending a particular button or offer to cut her some bead trim to use, but she would simply say "not just yet..." She wasn't ready to commit to any of my suggestions. I laughed a little because she sounded so grown up, and then she said "what are you laughing at?" (like "what are you laughing at moron?") I just thought it was so hilarious that she knew exactly what she wanted (and didn't want) for her creation and would not be rushed! I should know that myself by now - a designer cannot be rushed to create a masterpiece. Ever detail in a garment is important and cannot be created on a whim (be damned Project Runway and fast fashion!) I admire this little 4-year old's self confidence and spunk - future fashionista at work for sure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home