Fashion Flock

A Designer's diary of what's hot in fashion, art, and the California beach lifestyle.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Inspiration 2012 - Warhol's Camouflage


If you read my last post, you'd see that my son Campbell is big on COLOR and PATTERN, and of course, so am I. During Winter break I took Campbell to the Andy Warhol exhibit at the Honor Fraser Gallery in Los Angeles (thru February 5, 2011) so he could view a true iconic pop artist. I knew he would be entranced by these colorful camouflage paintings and give him further inspiration to continue his pattern drawings. He was in awe of the scale and vibrant saturated colors. My son and Andy Warhol are so in sync! He was itching to get home to try and replicate some of these camouflage patterns in his own color combinations. I was equally inspired seeing these beautiful and sometimes unexpected color combinations on such a grand scale. I too was anxious to get home to work on some new space-dye color palettes for my next Spring 2012 collection!

When we got home, I created some stencil drawings for him with tracing paper and made copies so he could practice coloring in the camouflage patterns with his own color combinations. He would often get frustrated with his marker and color pencil drawings because he couldn't get the colors even or fully saturated. I explained to him that acrylic paint is an easier medium to create even color. I promised to buy him a small canvas and 3 to 4 acrylic paint colors so he could experiment and get the colors to look the way he wanted. A perfectionist in his own right and certainly his mother's son!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home