Fashion Flock

A Designer's diary of what's hot in fashion, art, and the California beach lifestyle.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Model Muse




When I was a little kid, my only fashion inspiration was Barbie. Now kids today are bombarded with fashion from all fronts - Project Runway, America's Next Top Model, Tween fashions...I would have been in heaven if I had that much fashion at my fingertips at age 5!

Recently I had an old childhood friend, Jodie, come visit and she told me one of her daughters was a little fashionista. She said that fashion was in her blood and she would practice her runway walk at home and had repeatedly give her fashion advice when shopping (and yes, this is a 5-year old!) I thought...what a dream! A fashion designer's wish to give birth to a mini fashion muse (there's still hope for you yet, Kaiulani!)

I was told one of the most important stops on their trip to LA was to hit the Stacia design studio so Riley could see the behind the scenes of a fashion house. Upon arrival, Ms. Riley immediately went into dress-up mode trying on any clothing that wasn't nailed down (and I remind you these are women's clothes I make.) But I must say, she made it work! Most of my grown-up tops make great little girl's dresses if belted just so. Riley soon discovered that and proceeded to strike her most model-like pose (see pictured.) I'll have to consider using this pint-size model on my next photo shoot for Stacia!

And later at home, Riley made herself at home in my walk-in closet (a Boudoir as I like to call it.) She pulled down one of my favorite Stacia space-dye crochet mini dresses and slipped it on without hesitation. I suggested we belt it. She picked a mother-of-pearl shell/macrame belt (very Malibu circa 1978.) Then she topped it off with my grandmother's gold/pearl multi-chain necklace for a little Gucci effect and the ultimate boho-chic look was created.

But the kicker here is when I asked her to pose for a picture. My kids usually sulk and slouch when asked to pose for the camera, but Riley immediately went into Top Model mode and gave me a sultry pose and pouty-come-hither look. Boy oh boy, Jodie my friend, you better watch out. You got one fashionista on your hands. Forget about enrolling her in John Robert Powers Modeling School (did I just date myself?), she's going straight to Paris!

1 Comments:

At 10:14 PM , Blogger Amrie Girls said...

love this! kids are so funny... and so honest! they can be the best little personal shopper!

really enjoying your blog!

{jackie}

amriegirls.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home